Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fall subway art


I have been seeing subway art all over the internet and really wanted one for fall to put on my dining room sideboard. Michael's had 2-packs of art canvases on 40% off so I think I only paid $8 for 2 of them, and they're pretty large - 18x24. I painted the entire canvas with chocolate brown paint, it needed a couple of coats, although I did like it slightly streaky so I wish I had left it that way but oh well. I planned to use my Silhouette craft cutter for the letters but I couldn't figure out how to get the letters in different sizes and widths, so I formatted it in Publisher, printed on white cardstock and cut them out. Since I used a simple, clean font (Arial MT Black) they were simple to cut out, maybe only took 30 minutes. Lining them up and spacing them was a little more tricky - I used a ruler and painters tape to line it all up. Then used Mod Podge to adhere the letters. I was going to seal it with Mod Podge but ended up leaving it alone. I'm really happy with how it came out and plan on making a Christmas one to go in that space.

No comments: